Green is the thing! As more properties begin to implement green technology, it may be time to take an inventory of your properties and see where you can implement energy saving measures. While green technology is being implemented in corporations throughout the U.S., many of us have yet to do so. Yet, today, even a small change can rapidly add up to significant energy savings and lower utility bills. “But I don’t use that much energy,” you may be saying right now. To see exactly how much energy you use, take a look at http://www.carbonfootprint.com/calculator1.html. Enter your typical usage and you’ll be given an estimate of how much energy you really use. Here are some suggestions for conserving energy – some that you can begin to implement immediately.
- Unplug unused appliances. Even if the device is turned off, it will continue to use electricity if plugged in.
- Turn off your computer at night. More than a quarter of all computers used in this country are left on overnight. Take a minute and turn it off.
- Adjust your thermostat. Just a few degrees up in the summer or down in the winter can lower your utility bills, and you’ll hardly notice the difference.
- Reduce your paperwork by implementing document management software that will allow you to scan and save paperwork in a virtual file, eliminating those endless piles of paper.
- Recycle paper and aluminum cans.
- Limit your use of paper and plastic cups and plates.
- Replace power draining devices with new energy efficient models. By updating desktop systems, laptops, and printers, you’ll save energy, and be cooler as well, since the newer devices don’t produce as much heat as their older counterparts.
- Implement an online rent payment system. Accepting electronic checks and credit cards eliminates the need to make those daily deposits when rent is due.
- Install low-flow toilets in vacant units and replace as tenants move out. The same can be done with low-flow shower devices as well.
- If you live in a semi-arid or desert environment, consider xeriscape for your landscaping. It will save you a tremendous amount of upkeep and water.
Just implementing a few of these suggestions will help conserve precious energy, lower utility bills, and cut down on the amount of wasted energy that is consumed monthly. The planet will be grateful.